MS is reinventing itself with a whole new paradigm for AuthN / IDaaS out in the cloud.
Wrote a quick report summarizing video content. You can find it here.
- AAD and AD become a single logical entity. On-premise AD driven from cloud-based AAD.
- Strategic AuthN protocols are:
- OpenID Connect (MS extension of OpenID)
- WS-Federation / SAML are *not* strategic. Neither is Windows Identity Foundation.
- Apps (public or corporate) must be registered to AAD. After that federation is easy.
- ADAL is MS multi-platform open-source SDK to do AuthN, also Xamarin, Apache Cordova
- Win10 will have new AuthN flows integrated at OS level: “WebAccountManager” API
- Whole effort is serious MS “catch-up”; work in progress, rough around edges, incomplete at times
- Major MS paradigm shift / change in fundamental architectural direction.